Governor Seyi Makinde has confirmed the killing of one of the teachers abducted during the recent attack on schools in Ahoro Dada Community, Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, as the government intensifies efforts to rescue the remaining victims.
Makinde disclosed the development on Sunday after a high-level security review meeting with security advisers and service commanders over the abduction of seven teachers and an unspecified number of pupils by suspected terrorists.
According to the governor, intelligence received by the state government indicated that one of the abducted teachers, believed to be a Mathematics teacher, was murdered by the kidnappers.
“What we know right now is that seven teachers were abducted. Unfortunately, we received a video this morning indicating that one of the teachers, understood to be the Mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists. Our prayers are with the family,” Makinde said.
The governor expressed condolences to the bereaved family and assured residents that the government was working tirelessly to rescue the remaining abductees.
He also sympathised with members of the tactical rescue team, including soldiers, operatives of the Amotekun Corps and local vigilantes, who were injured after encountering Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) allegedly planted by the abductors during rescue operations.
Makinde stated that the affected operatives were responding well to treatment, adding that the state government would bear the full cost of their medical care.
“We just finished a review of the security situation in the local government area where the abduction of some teachers and schoolchildren took place.
“First, let me appeal to the affected families that their government is working round the clock to ensure that we tackle this challenge. For our troops and service commanders, we have a few wounded soldiers, hunters and other operatives. They are recovering,” he said.
The governor noted that both kinetic and non-kinetic strategies were being deployed to secure the safe release of the remaining victims.
Appealing for calm among residents, community leaders and religious groups, Makinde acknowledged the tension generated by the incident but assured citizens that the government remained fully committed to resolving the crisis.
“I want to appeal to all citizens and residents, particularly those in Oriire Local Government and across Oyo State, that we are doing everything within our power to resolve this situation quickly and bring our children back safely,” he added.
Makinde further revealed that security agencies had recorded progress in their investigations, with several suspects already arrested in connection with the attack.
According to him, six individuals suspected of acting as informants or logistics suppliers for the terrorists had been arrested within the community, while another security outfit apprehended three additional persons of interest.
The governor also warned that increasing military pressure on terrorists and bandits in the North-West and North-East was forcing criminal groups to migrate towards southern states, including parts of the South-West.
“We must appreciate the fact that with the pressure on terrorists and bandits in the North-West and North-East, they will keep moving southwards,” he stated.
