The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, Betta Edu has disclosed that the Federal Government have paid N25,000 to 3.5 million Nigerians under the conditional cash transfer scheme.
Edu stated this on Thursday, exactly two months after President Bola Tinubu’s administration launched the scheme targeting 15m households as part of moves to cushion the impact of the fuel subsidy removal.
“We have so far paid 3.5 million Nigerians N25,000 each. Of course, we are out on the field and covering another 4.5 million in the next one week so we will have altogether close to about 8 million people between now and the end of the year,” the minister said on Channels Television’s Politics Today.
According to her, the list has been expanded to accommodate more people like the retirees.
She said that, “A total of 480 persons are on that list. They are presently undergoing their in-person verification because if we cannot verify who you are and where you are and that you are below the poverty line, you are not qualified to be on that social register.”
Also, Edu noted that the Federal Government is currently paying arrears to N-Power beneficiaries.
“Presently, a payment for N-Power is ongoing; we were in the office yesterday up until the early hours of this morning, just to ensure that young people get monies which they have been owed from the last government,” she said.
“So, N-Power beneficiaries across the nation, I am sure you can attest to the fact that you are seeing your money in your accounts and this process will continue until the last person who indeed has served is being paid.
“And of course, all of this is being restructured to ensure that we reduce unemployment and create jobs for Nigerians.”